Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by FoxwoodsFiend (Mid Stakes)

Blah and the Fiend: Episode Four

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Blah and the Fiend: Episode Four by FoxwoodsFiend, blah234

FoxwoodsFiend and Blah234 review a final 4-tabling mid-stakes session of Blah's to close out the season.

About Blah and the Fiend Subscribe to

From the forums and mocrostakes to mentoring with Ansky, Blah now joins forces with FoxwoodsFiend for a mentor style series to hone his chops with another one of DeucesCracked's finest!

Tags

blah234 foxwoodsfiend blah and the fiend 400nl 400 nl

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: Mid Stakes
  • 47 minutes long
  • Posted over 2 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for Blah and the Fiend: Episode Four

or track by Email or RSS

pumpui

69 posts
Joined 07/2008

great series but so short, do some more! Smile

Posted over 2 years ago

DaKaJ

94 posts
Joined 07/2008

open minraising the SB with T3o has to be terrible imo, ure going to get completely destroyed here by anybody half competent.

Posted over 2 years ago

FoxwoodsFiend

345 posts
Joined 10/2007

open minraising the SB with T3o has to be terrible imo, ure going to get completely destroyed here by anybody half competent.

It really depends on whether the opponent is "half competent" in these situations, lots of multitablers play too weak in BB and either fold too much or play too fit and fold post-flop. so while i don't recommend opening 3To OTB too often, it's hard to categorically say it's wrong IMO

Posted over 2 years ago

FabledHero

10 posts
Joined 03/2008

Surprised not more comments, your vids are great as usual FWF, thanks for making this series!

Posted over 2 years ago

Majkel

146 posts
Joined 07/2009

Time Link to 00:20:57

What do you think about villain's c/r on the turn on table 2?
It looks somewhat bluffy because you're far more likely to fire third on the river plus what is he really raising here for value?

Posted over 2 years ago

blah234

2602 posts
Joined 12/2009

What do you think about villain's c/r on the turn on table 2?
It looks somewhat bluffy because you're far more likely to fire third on the river plus what is he really raising here for value?

villain is not repping any bluffs especially given positions. Doesn't make sense for people to float with air OOP then hope to god I bet the turn so he can raise. At least my initial assumption is that people will not float OOP with too much air and will not turn made hand into bluff for no good reason.

Posted over 2 years ago

DaKaJ

94 posts
Joined 07/2008

It really depends on whether the opponent is "half competent" in these situations, lots of multitablers play too weak in BB and either fold too much or play too fit and fold post-flop. so while i don't recommend opening 3To OTB too often, it's hard to categorically say it's wrong IMO

It was not on the button, he open minraised (well 2.25bb) first in from the small blind, if you open that hand you open like 95% possibly 100% oop from the SB and you are just going to get completely crushed by any semi good regular when you do this.
And yes regulars DO notice this type of thing, even playing lots of tables, just looking at the raise first in from the SB is enough.
You gonna have a hard time convincing me this is not a big leak.

Posted over 2 years ago

blah234

2602 posts
Joined 12/2009

It was not on the button, he open minraised (well 2.25bb) first in from the small blind, if you open that hand you open like 95% possibly 100% oop from the SB and you are just going to get completely crushed by any semi good regular when you do this.
And yes regulars DO notice this type of thing, even playing lots of tables, just looking at the raise first in from the SB is enough.
You gonna have a hard time convincing me this is not a big leak.

We can't change how you feel but your arguments has no mathematical basis. Minraising the SB is +EV if villain does not defend with over 50% range automatically. This means villain has to be defending "trash" hands like K5o and be comfortable not playing fit or fold with almost no equity on lots of flops. Most people who multitable just don't have the energy required for these decision process even if they are aware of what's going on so they have to pass the marginal spots to play all those tables.

Even if villain defends > 50% of hands so that our raise isn't auto +EV we still have postflop. Even 72o flop 2 pair + sometimes. If we control our bluffing frequency don't stick too much money in without equity and hand read our opponents we can definitely be +EV postflop as well, even if we give up on more pots than someone with tighter range.

You are right in that if villain is equally as competent as us at playing, understands how to use positions etc raising wide range is -EV but it doesn't mean every single player is like that.

Posted over 2 years ago

DaKaJ

94 posts
Joined 07/2008

Playing 2/4 3/6 on pokerstars I can tell you people are NOT folding to those minraises, and a lot of regs will just vpip 90% and 3-bet 30%+ when you do this. Even in your video the guy defended with 63o so you can see there is very little fold equity here.
You may have success playing like this against droolers and bad regs but, once again, you are going to get completely destroyed against any half competent regular in the big blind when open minraising close to 100% of your small blinds.

Posted over 2 years ago

zydee

67 posts
Joined 05/2008

Playing 2/4 3/6 on pokerstars I can tell you people are NOT folding to those minraises, and a lot of regs will just vpip 90% and 3-bet 30%+ when you do this. Even in your video the guy defended with 63o so you can see there is very little fold equity here.
You may have success playing like this against droolers and bad regs but, once again, you are going to get completely destroyed against any half competent regular in the big blind when open minraising close to 100% of your small blinds.

Then he adjusts...................................

Posted over 2 years ago

cheapskate8

177 posts
Joined 08/2011

Nice vid, enjoyed the random discussion thought this series. Cheers!

Posted over 2 years ago

mystake

42 posts
Joined 08/2010

Time Link to 00:25:46

K9s, top left:

What are your plans for future streets if he calls your c/r there? Barrel off, or do you think he is going to have a too strong of a range, given how nitty he is, to make that profitable?

And how would your plan differ there if you were up against a more "standard" regular (lets say against a 22/19)?

Posted over 2 years ago

mystake

42 posts
Joined 08/2010

Time Link to 00:00:00

Also another question concerning the same hand.

You mentioned that it is often a mistake to c/r there with a FD and then let go of the hand if he 3 bets you. So would you say that your "standard play" there is to c/r and shove if you get 3 bet? And if so, is it also applicable to SSNL?

Posted over 2 years ago

blah234

2602 posts
Joined 12/2009

K9s, top left:

What are your plans for future streets if he calls your c/r there? Barrel off, or do you think he is going to have a too strong of a range, given how nitty he is, to make that profitable?

And how would your plan differ there if you were up against a more "standard" regular (lets say against a 22/19)?

I don't see a K9 top left on your time stamp. Are you talking about the K9 of diamonds bottom right?

If so then im barreling turn for sure, you can't pot control OOP so c/c can't win the pot without hitting. I would bet small to and fold to a shove.

If you've watch my other videos you must of heard there are no such thing as a standard reg. 22/19 doesn't say anything about how someone constructs their range in this spot. I will have different range constructions vs every player but the default is to bet again on the turn vs unknown.

Posted over 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsMid Stakes Shorthanded NL → Blah and the Fiend : Episode Four