Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by Grindcore (Mid Stakes)

The Thin Red Grind: Episode Seven

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

The Thin Red Grind: Episode Seven by Grindcore

Grindcore does a video review of his play at 6 tables of 400NL against some tricky regulars.

About The Thin Red Grind Subscribe to

Grindcore brings his talents back to the DeucesCracked video lineup. Theory and live sweats from 50NL to 400NL.

Tags

grindcore the thin red grind 400nl 400 nl $2/4

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: Mid Stakes
  • 60 minutes long
  • Posted over 3 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for The Thin Red Grind: Episode Seven

or track by Email or RSS

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

Like these vids as well as the live commentary. Just switch between the two formats imo.

You talked about a DC short on donkbetting that was going to astonish the audience. Any idea on it's release date?

As soon as I have some time to make it. February is always a busy month for me.

Posted over 3 years ago

PaperV

19 posts
Joined 01/2008

It is definitely better to have a longer session and speed it up during droughts. I like this video a lot even though we both agree, live commentating is your best quality.

Posted over 3 years ago

Anonomous1

75 posts
Joined 12/2010

I thought you didn't feel rushed to explain as if you were live. If you were to go live I'd say do less tables if it affects your ability to play and make a video. The video review later is great explanation and you can pause, I'm all for it

Posted over 3 years ago

mesch_pkr

152 posts
Joined 10/2010

Really nice video Smile

Would love a video in ipoker if that is possible for us Europeans Smile

What stakes are you playing on ipoker? And is your SN outed? I'm playing nl200 there, maybe we have tangled ?Grin

Posted over 3 years ago

kaytor

17 posts
Joined 05/2010

I completely overlooked this hand on table 5 during the commentary (thanks to Anonomous1 pointing it out). Everyone reading this should watch it if they missed it too.

When I undercbet and he checkraises he's extremely likely to be bluffing. I could click it back, but I think there's a good chance I can win some more money by "slowplaying my bluff". The turn is an overcard he's likely fireing his air at. I can shove here, or call and play the river, risking a bluff shove from him. I don't think he'll ever bluff shove the river, nor will he check there if he has what he was repping, so I get to play perfect on the river (put in no money when he has it, win the pot every time when he doesn't have it). Therefore I call instead of shoving. If I think he's extremely likely to bluff shove the river, I should have clicked it back on the flop.

Why shove the river then ? are you afraid he might have taken this line with something like 9x and call half pot bet river ?

Posted over 3 years ago

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

Why shove the river then ? are you afraid he might have taken this line with something like 9x and call half pot bet river ?

He could have something like 8T maybe? He mostly has air, against which my sizing doesn't matter. But when he does have something, a jam is much stronger than a half pot bet. When he picked something up a jam will win close to 100% while half pot will work maybe 90%, so it's not worth it to go smaller.

Posted over 3 years ago

StueysKid

1018 posts
Joined 11/2009

Time Link to 00:56:58

I'm curious why you felt the fishy looking villain on table 4 in the BB wasn't check raise bluffing the flop and barreling the turn at least 30% of the time? (w/ the Q8o OTB)

We get a lot of your thoughts on hero calls and even hero bluff raises but hardly ever about hero folds. Your thoughts?

Posted over 3 years ago

zenben

1270 posts
Joined 03/2009

Time Link to 00:51:42

Table 3-our villain has an FTOPS uniform as an avatar-I know you don't grind FT, but I believe this means he has won a large MTT. I'm guessing he's either a tourney reg that is learning cash or playing cash for recreation, and is playing higher than his abilities because of his recently bulked bankroll (but he doesn't want to go broke playing cash, thus he's not auto-rebuying), or he luck-boxed the tourney, and is actually quite bad. Do you have any assumptions you take when facing tourney players in a cash game? I would guess he's better at preflop and flop situations, as well as push-fold theory, and he may be playing more loose than he is used to since it's 6-max. It probably depends how many tables he is playing, but my guess would be he is probably going to make some equity mistakes on later streets, so calling or raising small is probably better than shoving, since he rarely plays rivers in his tourney experience, and prob doesn't deal with turn raises that AREN'T shoves as often as he deals with turn shoves when in tourneys.

Posted over 3 years ago

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

I'm curious why you felt the fishy looking villain on table 4 in the BB wasn't check raise bluffing the flop and barreling the turn at least 30% of the time? (w/ the Q8o OTB)

Ah I overlooked that hand too. I simply can't assume an unknown bluffshoves that card. There are no draws he can have. Even gutshots have no value because the board made trips. And it should be a welcome card to all my bluffcatchers. I'm calling for a chop essentially, but he could easily have the quads or 99 or so.

We get a lot of your thoughts on hero calls and even hero bluff raises but hardly ever about hero folds. Your thoughts?

People never have anything so there are more spots to hero call than to hero fold maybe? Also most "herofolds" seem somewhat easy laydowns. There's not much uniqueness to putting your opponent on a strong hand when he takes a strong line. And I generally don't like folding from a theoretical point of view when I have a strong hand as I get played back at more than a TAG regular + I get more information out of a showdown than the average player, so I simply call in spots where a TAG player might (have to) hero fold.

Posted over 3 years ago

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

Table 3-our villain has an FTOPS uniform as an avatar-I know you don't grind FT, but I believe this means he has won a large MTT. I'm guessing he's either a tourney reg that is learning cash or playing cash for recreation, and is playing higher than his abilities because of his recently bulked bankroll (but he doesn't want to go broke playing cash, thus he's not auto-rebuying), or he luck-boxed the tourney, and is actually quite bad. Do you have any assumptions you take when facing tourney players in a cash game? I would guess he's better at preflop and flop situations, as well as push-fold theory, and he may be playing more loose than he is used to since it's 6-max. It probably depends how many tables he is playing, but my guess would be he is probably going to make some equity mistakes on later streets, so calling or raising small is probably better than shoving, since he rarely plays rivers in his tourney experience, and prob doesn't deal with turn raises that AREN'T shoves as often as he deals with turn shoves when in tourneys.

I don't have enough experience with playing cash vs MTT regs knowingly to know if they have common leaks. If they have leaks I'll find them just like I would for any other bad TAG. I'm guessing that an expected leak would be overplaying 1 pair, and that they're too tight and don't adjust.

Posted over 3 years ago

gravessen

27 posts
Joined 06/2008

Time Link to 00:41:56

hi GC.

Table 6 with Q9... you said you discount flush from his range because he would possible bet bigger on river when he his river.But If he bet/shoving over your raise you will fold right? because now he can actually have a flush but bet on the smaller side to let you bluff or value/raise worse...

what do you think?

Posted over 3 years ago

gravessen

27 posts
Joined 06/2008

Time Link to 00:45:26

Table 5 with T9cc.

don't you prefer to cbet with your OESD ?

Posted over 3 years ago

gravessen

27 posts
Joined 06/2008

Time Link to 00:53:35

Table 3 with J9cc.

We have only 8 hands from vilain so playing readless.
Our draw is not very good (gutshot on suited board)... With no reads i usualy would go for a raise, because its seems always harder for the vilain to play OOP when facing agression.

What are your thought process here? do you usualy prefer floating on this situation even if you don't know vilain frequencies?

thanks

Posted over 3 years ago

ebla

108 posts
Joined 01/2010

Hey GC!

Im really impressed with how you go about getting reads, taking notes and use them so effectively. How did you develop this skill? Also, do you ever "clean up" your notes? Whats your system for this?

Posted over 3 years ago

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

Hey GC!

Im really impressed with how you go about getting reads, taking notes and use them so effectively. How did you develop this skill? Also, do you ever "clean up" your notes? Whats your system for this?

Watch The Thin Red Line episode 3.

Posted over 3 years ago

HomePoker ForumsMid Stakes Shorthanded NL → The Thin Red Grind : Episode Seven