Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by threads13 (Micro/Small Stakes)

Tolerance: Episode One

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Tolerance: Episode One by threads13

Threads13 gets into the winrate and math behind it and demonstrates how variance can affect it.

About Tolerance Subscribe to

Variance is huge in poker and it can drastically slow down the learning process. This series is split into two parts: 1) Identify variance and explaining the fundamental mathematics of variance. 2) Shifting the focus to learning (instead of results) and maximizing our learning.

Tags

threads13 tolerance variance winrate presentation ipod friendly

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: Micro/Small Stakes
  • 48 minutes long
  • Posted about 4 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for Tolerance: Episode One

or track by Email or RSS

Sugar Nut

842 posts
Joined 03/2008

Very nice work sir. The only thing I found a bit strange was the guy referred to as "The Dude," was in a pic with viscous, white, gunk dripping from his mouth. Everything else was awesome.

Yeah? Well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion man!

Posted about 4 years ago

Prologion

2093 posts
Joined 03/2010

Time Link to 00:20:12

First of all, I am very glad that I have decided to watch this series - I think this will be an epic seriesWink

small poll@all:
I am more or less a 4bb/100-winner over 350k hands - but my Standarddeviation/100 is about 77bb/100hands.
What are your values here?
And what can a larger deviation mean regards to similar WRs?
Just that you choose high Variance-spots?

Posted about 4 years ago

Prologion

2093 posts
Joined 03/2010

Time Link to 00:25:45

small correction: S.D. should be square root of 4900000 = around 2214bb

Posted about 4 years ago

MoNteiRoZor

9 posts
Joined 01/2009

Absolutly great series. Nice first video.

Posted about 4 years ago

z324739

Section 9
382 posts
Joined 03/2008

Very very good, just what Doctor ordered. Shud be mandatory watch in DC, lol...

Posted about 4 years ago

Steppin Razor

Section 9
2237 posts
Joined 12/2009

I didn't even know how much I wanted to see a series about this until I watched this ep. Thx.

Posted about 4 years ago

criuzer13

119 posts
Joined 06/2010

Time Link to 00:19:40

Wait, how does the variance per hand end up being 36? If the St Dev per hand is .6 (60/100 hands), shouldn't the variance be .36 per hand?

Posted about 4 years ago

threads13

2486 posts
Joined 03/2008

Wait, how does the variance per hand end up being 36? If the St Dev per hand is .6 (60/100 hands), shouldn't the variance be .36 per hand?

You can't take the standard deviation per 100 hands and simply divide by 100 to get the standard deviation per 100 hands. You can do that with the variance, which is why we start by squaring the standard deviation to get 3600(60^=3600). So, the variance per 100 is 3600. Then divide by 100 to get the variance per hand of 36. Then we can get back to the standard deviation by taking the square root. This is how the standard deviation is 6.

Posted about 4 years ago

criuzer13

119 posts
Joined 06/2010

Oh ok, makes more sense. Related question just to clarify, in Hold'em Manager is the St Dev in bb per 100 hands? It seems like it is, but as opposed to bb/100, they don't actually mark it as per 100 so I wanted to make sure.

Posted about 4 years ago

threads13

2486 posts
Joined 03/2008

Oh ok, makes more sense. Related question just to clarify, in Hold'em Manager is the St Dev in bb per 100 hands? It seems like it is, but as opposed to bb/100, they don't actually mark it as per 100 so I wanted to make sure.

Yeah, it's per 100. They have it as big blinds (bb) and big bets (BB).

Posted about 4 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5688 posts
Joined 01/2009

Just finished this (finally) and I can see why it got such good reviews. Very solid content and professionally done as well. Far more preparation went into this than the average video and it shows.

Posted about 4 years ago

Tackleberry

3561 posts
Joined 10/2009

I have a (maybe) dumb question but it keeps me busy already quite some time: my S.D. is around 90-95bb / 100 (over like 200k hands). From all I heard this seems to be quite high.

1) Is this right?

2) Can we derive any assumptions (or at least indicators) for my play from that (i.e. too fancy, to bluffy, too bluffcatchy, valuebetting too little, going to SD too often, not protecting enought)?

Thx!

Posted about 4 years ago

threads13

2486 posts
Joined 03/2008

I have a (maybe) dumb question but it keeps me busy already quite some time: my S.D. is around 90-95bb / 100 (over like 200k hands). From all I heard this seems to be quite high.

1) Is this right?

2) Can we derive any assumptions (or at least indicators) for my play from that (i.e. too fancy, to bluffy, too bluffcatchy, valuebetting too little, going to SD too often, not protecting enought)?

Thx!

Yes, that seems a bit high to me. I haven't personally seen any 6-max or FR stats that high before. I don't think I can say why it is so high other than you are making some high variance plays.

Posted about 4 years ago

Mixtress

35 posts
Joined 12/2008

Excellent video... gonna crack on with episode two... but before I do, I can safely say I ran good tonight with some positive variance Grin lol

Posted about 4 years ago

Quietman1970

9 posts
Joined 04/2010

I just wanted to join the amen corner and say that this is an outstanding video. The information is vital and the presentation was first rate.

Great job sir!

Posted about 4 years ago

HomePoker ForumsPoker Theory → Tolerance : Episode One