Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by WiltOnTilt (Mid Stakes)

Mentor: WiltOnTilt (#25) - 400NL HU Part 1

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Mentor: WiltOnTilt (#25) - 400NL HU Part 1 by WiltOnTilt

WiltOnTilt begins a review of a 2-tabling session at the mid-stakes, $2/4.

About Mentor Subscribe to

DeucesCracked coaches Mentor their students in these coaching videos.

Tags

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: Mid Stakes
  • 44 minutes long
  • Posted over 2 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for Mentor: WiltOnTilt (#25) - 400NL HU Part 1

or track by Email or RSS

SchFerreira

310 posts
Joined 11/2011

In general, what are the weakest hands you think are reasonable to defend against a 3x from a reg who's likely opening 75%+?

Because near the beginning L4K just folds 97s to a BTN open and you don't mention it (maybe missed it), and while I do think you're not giving up much EV there, the fact you're just folding hands that good means that he can open 100% and print money out of you. I've always had the idea that defending 97s and 86s are OK with 75s being borderline, so they are either calls or 3-bets for me.

Also, what about K2s-K7s, Q7s-Q5s, J7s, etc.? I've seen videos from people who think those are all standard defends, and videos from people who think they are 3-bet or folds. I know it depends alot on how your villain plays postflop, how he responds to 3-bets, and alot of other stuff, but it's an issue that doesn't get discussed alot.

Posted over 2 years ago

poporella

5 posts
Joined 10/2011

HJD

1017 posts
Joined 05/2010

Time Link to 00:39:47

does/should the fact that we've folded to basically every big aggresive play he's made factor in here, and do you think that makes us more inclined to call or fold?

i know when i have a stretch where i have to continually fold bluffcatchers in a short space of time that i feel like im getting outplayed and end up making bad calls!

Posted over 2 years ago

JimmyRare

12 posts
Joined 07/2008

Good video, great analysis. I think I learned quite a bit. Could probably stop and think even deeper on some of them.

In the 79s hand. We 3b to $40 and villain 4b to $88. We need to call $48 to win $128.
That makes it so that we need 37,5% equity of the pot, right?
Don't we hit enough flush draws, pairs/two pairs etc. to make it a profitable call, or is it really shove or fold?
My confusion is with that some coaches advocate calling these small 4b, and I am not so skilled at math yet to be able to figure it out on my own.

Posted over 2 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2609 posts
Joined 10/2007

In general, what are the weakest hands you think are reasonable to defend against a 3x from a reg who's likely opening 75%+?

Because near the beginning L4K just folds 97s to a BTN open and you don't mention it (maybe missed it), and while I do think you're not giving up much EV there, the fact you're just folding hands that good means that he can open 100% and print money out of you. I've always had the idea that defending 97s and 86s are OK with 75s being borderline, so they are either calls or 3-bets for me.

Also, what about K2s-K7s, Q7s-Q5s, J7s, etc.? I've seen videos from people who think those are all standard defends, and videos from people who think they are 3-bet or folds. I know it depends alot on how your villain plays postflop, how he responds to 3-bets, and alot of other stuff, but it's an issue that doesn't get discussed alot.

In general against a guy opening 75-100% i'm going to be defending between 35-45% depending on a lot of factors. 37.5% is the break even point for them auto profiting opening 100%, but it's not the only consideration.

Typically I am in the camp where hands like 97s, K5s, etc are in my 3bet range. I usually don't like defending them for a flat call without some other considerations (I know he doens't 2 barrel enough, or I know he cbets too much and I can checkraise a lot, or he value bets poorly, etc). For me it's not enough to say I have hand X and therefore I will defend it (as it relates to weak/medium hands). I like to have a plan.

I would encourage most of these people who think Q5s is a standard flat call defend to actually look in their database and see if they are showing a profit with that hand against a 3x raise. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it shouldn't be taken for granted. I think the hand plays better as a preflop 3bet personally against most opponents, but there are some opponents who I don't mind flatting it against. In general, the bigger your edge postflop, the more options you have.

I must have missed the 97s fold or I probably would have said something about it.

Also fwiw, I think there's a massive difference between a 75% opener and a 95% opener. There are a LOT of hands in that bottom 20% that don't hit flops very hard very often. I would much rather flat Q5s against a 95% opener.

Posted over 2 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2609 posts
Joined 10/2007

does/should the fact that we've folded to basically every big aggresive play he's made factor in here, and do you think that makes us more inclined to call or fold?

i know when i have a stretch where i have to continually fold bluffcatchers in a short space of time that i feel like im getting outplayed and end up making bad calls!

It's a hard question to answer in general. i don't think the 93 hand is really an example of a spot where I would take a stand. I'd be more inclined to take a stand in a spot that is more repeatable and occurs more frequently, like 3bets/4bets/5bets or flop checkraises or checking behind the flop and getting bet into on turn and river because a) the frequency of those things happening is so high that if you are leaking badly there by folding too much, it is a huge problem and b) you need to show him that you aren't automatically folding weak hands sometimes so he has to at least consider that when pulling a move on you.

Posted over 2 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2609 posts
Joined 10/2007

Good video, great analysis. I think I learned quite a bit. Could probably stop and think even deeper on some of them.

In the 79s hand. We 3b to $40 and villain 4b to $88. We need to call $48 to win $128.
That makes it so that we need 37,5% equity of the pot, right?
Don't we hit enough flush draws, pairs/two pairs etc. to make it a profitable call, or is it really shove or fold?
My confusion is with that some coaches advocate calling these small 4b, and I am not so skilled at math yet to be able to figure it out on my own.

the equity number you state is if we see all 5 cards. We will rarely see all 5 cards and we'll end up with some gutshot or mid/bottom pair very often and now we're in a spot where we will make mistakes very often. I know some other coaches and players like flatting these 4bets... I typically do not. Kind of like I mentioned in an above post...for people who like to flat small 4bets often, I would encourage them to look in their database and see if they are profiting with this play against competent opposition. If you are playing someone you have a big edge on, then do whatever you want, but if you are playing someone who understands what your range looks like when you c/c or c/r then GL.

Another short way of saying this is, I haven't yet played someone where I"ve been like "God i hate it when he calls my 4bets preflop"

Posted over 2 years ago

Liquid Cash

144 posts
Joined 07/2011

Time Link to 00:03:35

What are you doing in villains spot here with AK, AQ, KQ,under pairs, etc? Are you shoving because he does not rep many value hands or just flatting?

Posted over 2 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2609 posts
Joined 10/2007

What are you doing in villains spot here with AK, AQ, KQ,under pairs, etc? Are you shoving because he does not rep many value hands or just flatting?

if i'm not sure what to do against a turn bet, i'd ship them all. If I felt like I could play a turn easily (ie not be too afraid of c/f the best hand too much or c/c the worst hand too much with A high) then I would call the AK and AQ and ship the KQ

Posted over 2 years ago

goose669

527 posts
Joined 08/2008

What0nEarth

1 posts
Joined 03/2012

Hi all, I'm villain in the match.

This first part doesn't really have any interesting hands from my end. I definitely didn't min4b the AQ before the video, just used my standard sizing of $40 to $88.

I had AK in the hand where hero folded KQ, but I still agree with WOT that it's a call. All of my missed draws will bluff that super scary river 100%, and without going too deeply into my ranges there are definitely various possibilities: 76, 64s, A2 and A4 are all somewhat viable. I might even have turned something like J9 into a bluff some % of the time, even though that play might be questionable on later analysis.

I had A6ss for the nut flush on the river check-raise where hero had 9x. I'd like to add that I'm never bluffing in that spot because of the several instances before where hero had missed value. Since I had reason to believe hero wasn't a very thin valuebettor my check-raise needs to get folds from quite a few big hands which I don't give credit for people to fold early on.

If anyone has any questions concerning what I had or anything like that feel free to ask.

Posted over 2 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2609 posts
Joined 10/2007

Hey, thanks for posting your thoughts. Part 2 will come out next tuesday or the week after.

BTW I replied to your PM so be sure to check that.

Posted over 2 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2609 posts
Joined 10/2007

enjoyed it tons gr8 vid

Thanks goose!

Posted over 2 years ago

majstereo

123 posts
Joined 01/2009

14:20 - this bet is/might be really that bad against reg?

EV=167x* (1-x)(335,5 * 19% - 84) -> x = 20,255/(167+20,255)= 10FEQ

U need 10% fold equity to break even. Aaron, what is Your point in the match (seeing showdown, info from stats?) that this bet is -EV ?

0:27:25 -> on stats we see fold to 3bet= 70%. is it enough sample to do some adjustmens like
-having more polarizing 3b range
-sizing down our sizing to 9.5-9bb and go from there?

sorry for my english and best regards :]

Posted about 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsHeads Up NL → Mentor : WiltOnTilt (#25) - 400NL HU Part 1