Poker Video: Misc/Other by DosXX (Micro/Small Stakes)

DC Shorts: DosXX (#1) - PokerStars VIP Program

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

DC Shorts: DosXX (#1) - PokerStars VIP Program by DosXX

DosXX walks you through the ups and downs of PokerStars VIP program.

About DC Shorts Subscribe to

DC shorts are short content bursts brought to you by DC Labs. Roughly 1/4 the length of standard videos, these shorts are designed to review single hands, concepts or ideas. You'll receive the most up to date content available and stay in touch with the latest and greatest here at DC and the poker community at large. The more you post in the forums the more likely it is your post will be the inspiration for a future DC short!

Tags

dosxx dc shorts vip program pokerstars ipod friendly

Video Details

• Game: other
  • Stakes: Micro/Small Stakes
  • 14 minutes long
  • Posted almost 4 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for DC Shorts: DosXX (#1) - PokerStars VIP Program

or track by Email or RSS

DOMSTER

42 posts
Joined 02/2010

Very nice and helpful overview. I made a calculation of my own comparing the FPP spent on items versus Cash and tournies entries. The conclusion was that you get the best value for tournament entries, then items( compared to retail prices over here in europe) and then cash. PS obviously wants to keep the money and give away the items they bought for large disouts. Do you agree and if yes do you have a calculation about the different classses FPPS can buy on PS.

Anyways excellent Job

Domster

Posted almost 4 years ago

imadonkey

26 posts
Joined 10/2010

I dont know how true the vpp/hand is. Started grinding 100NL 6max on stars this year 67K hands playing 22/18 i only average 0.3 vpp/hand Frown.

5carab

928 posts
Joined 07/2010

The end calculation appears to be slightly inaccurate (although I could be completely wrong). If we were maintaining the amount required to get SN (so over 7,500 VPPs per month) we would drop to platinum for the last three months and get a 2.5x multiplier. You assigned a 2x one, which would require a drop to gold. Think I'm right, but could have missed something.

DosXX

384 posts
Joined 01/2008

Very nice and helpful overview. I made a calculation of my own comparing the FPP spent on items versus Cash and tournies entries. The conclusion was that you get the best value for tournament entries, then items( compared to retail prices over here in europe) and then cash. PS obviously wants to keep the money and give away the items they bought for large disouts. Do you agree and if yes do you have a calculation about the different classses FPPS can buy on PS.

Anyways excellent Job

Domster

I can't answer for tournaments, although I've heard that they can be good deals. Since I rarely play tournaments, I would have to include a time cost for playing that would probably not be worth it for me. For tournament players it could definitely be the way to go.

As for items (I'm located in the US), I haven't really found anything that was a good deal, and most items I've found are not very good deals by about 10-20%.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good example to help you with tournament calculations. Fortunately, it's very simple math that shouldn't be very different from my last calculations.

DosXX

384 posts
Joined 01/2008

I dont know how true the vpp/hand is. Started grinding 100NL 6max on stars this year 67K hands playing 22/18 i only average 0.3 vpp/hand Frown.

Typically, January and December are the worst months for VPP's, since most grinders put in a ton of hands in those months. But, like I said, these are just ballpark estimates and are very fluid numbers.

DosXX

384 posts
Joined 01/2008

The end calculation appears to be slightly inaccurate (although I could be completely wrong). If we were maintaining the amount required to get SN (so over 7,500 VPPs per month) we would drop to platinum for the last three months and get a 2.5x multiplier. You assigned a 2x one, which would require a drop to gold. Think I'm right, but could have missed something.

You are right. Our rakeback will go up by $200 and that increases our % to 34.7%. Thanks for catching that.

CowboyKO

155 posts
Joined 02/2008

I think a couple important things were left out in the video. PokerStars offers a "concierge service" to Supernova and Supernova Elite players. This service can be used to reimburse purchases over $500 per month from up to three receipts. The concierge service exchange rate is $0.0161 per FPP, and therefore slightly higher than the exchange rate for the $4k bonus you can buy from the VIP store for 250k FPPs. Also, unlike the bonuses, there is no VPP hurdle to clear this money. It is simply credited to your account as long as your receipts are accepted (you can visit the VIP store website for examples expenses that are and are not accepted).

Also,w hen considering the purchase of items through the VIP store you need to take your marginal tax rate into account. If your marginal tax rate is greater than the mark up you would face after converting FPPs to cash after submitting a receipt for the same item through the concierge service, you are better off just getting the item through the VIP store.

DosXX

384 posts
Joined 01/2008

[quote]I think a couple important things were left out in the video. PokerStars offers a "concierge service" to Supernova and Supernova Elite players. This service can be used to reimburse purchases over $500 per month from up to three receipts. The concierge service exchange rate is $0.0161 per FPP, and therefore slightly higher than the exchange rate for the $4k bonus you can buy from the VIP store for 250k FPPs. Also, unlike the bonuses, there is no VPP hurdle to clear this money. It is simply credited to your account as long as your receipts are accepted (you can visit the VIP store website for examples expenses that are and are not accepted).[/quote]

Some good points and also a couple things I will argue.

I left out concierge because I wasn't sure how often people take advantage of it. It does offer a very small % increase over the 4K bonus. The biggest bonus was always the no clearing requirement, however, PS has done away with this requirement for 2011 (hopefully I mentioned this in the video?), so that shouldn't be a concern anymore.

For buying items and using your marginal tax rate, I'm in the US using my limited knowledge of the tax code and would say that you would still owe taxes on whatever the $$ value of your merchandise purchases are, as that is still considered income. Correct me if I'm misstating your argument, but as I see it, FPPs are considered income whether you exchange them for cash, items, or nothing.
Also,w hen considering the purchase of items through the VIP store you need to take your marginal tax rate into account. If your marginal tax rate is greater than the mark up you would face after converting FPPs to cash after submitting a receipt for the same item through the concierge service, you are better off just getting the item through the VIP store.[/quote]

doc.lemon

1810 posts
Joined 07/2009

Time Link to 00:08:56

So basically, if I can't make SN, or need RB money to move up/expenses and would make SN at the end of the year Stars is not for me since I am forced to cash in at less favourable ratio (I need cash)?

lirarmange

90 posts
Joined 04/2008

I could be wrong but I can't find any info on pokerstars about 100k VPP milestone, there is a 100k VPP stellar reward, but you already included that in the $1200 stellar reward, when you sum up the bonuses.

DosXX

384 posts
Joined 01/2008

So basically, if I can't make SN, or need RB money to move up/expenses and would make SN at the end of the year Stars is not for me since I am forced to cash in at less favourable ratio (I need cash)?

Well, you could anticipate the highest level you would achieve and what bonuses that would let you buy. Then, you could do a similar calculation using that bonus level and see if it is worth it compared to rake back at another site.

DosXX

384 posts
Joined 01/2008

I could be wrong but I can't find any info on pokerstars about 100k VPP milestone, there is a 100k VPP stellar reward, but you already included that in the $1200 stellar reward, when you sum up the bonuses.

I think you are right. The stellar rewards has "replaced" the milestones.

It's really just terminology, since last year it was $1000 in stellar rewards + $1000 milestone - $800 FPP cost = the same as this year.

So, my 2 mistakes now should cancel out Smile

imadonkey

26 posts
Joined 10/2010

Typically, January and December are the worst months for VPP's, since most grinders put in a ton of hands in those months. But, like I said, these are just ballpark estimates and are very fluid numbers.

Really? didnt know this as im new to Stars. Good to know, looking forward to having a higher VPP/hand as the year goes by Smile.

KennyCupp13

71 posts
Joined 03/2009

One of the best ways to convert FPPs towards something usable is to play the FPP satellite tournaments for the Sunday 1/4 Million. The 235 FPP HyperTurbo 6 handed (two seats given) is pretty much liquid gold. You can unregister from that tourney and use the tournament dollars to grind some SNGs. Seems like thats worked really well for me, much better than turning 2500 FPPs into $25.

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → DC Shorts : DosXX (#1) - PokerStars VIP Program