Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by BalugaWhale (Mid Stakes)

Whale Tales: Episode Seven

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Whale Tales: Episode Seven by BalugaWhale

BalugaWhale is climbing up and playing 4-tables of $3/6 NLHE and sling tall tales of wonder.

About Whale Tales Subscribe to

After taking a break from poker, BalugaWhale returns to the felt. He discusses the best ways to return your game to top shape and showcases his skills at the 6 max NLHE tables.

Tags

balugawhale whale tales live play 4-tabling $3/6 600nl 600 nl

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: Mid Stakes
  • 59 minutes long
  • Posted over 3 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for Whale Tales: Episode Seven

or track by Email or RSS

BalugaWhale

1083 posts
Joined 01/2008

why as small as like 40% pot?

Why as big as 50%+?

Posted over 3 years ago

BalugaWhale

1083 posts
Joined 01/2008

Interesting spot. Couple of questions:

1) What's the weakest hand you'd ship for value here?

2) How thinly do you think villain can bluffcatch against you?

I'd ship sets, possibly top two, possibly aces (but that might bet pretty thin).

Andrew

Posted over 3 years ago

Pokerfarm

60 posts
Joined 04/2009

id be concerned ab out flatting AA/KK that deep just because I"m behind and am likely to play perfectly against him (a dangerous proposition. And ya, I'd ship the turn, just because my opponnet never bluffs a later street, could suckout, and also can call with worse hands. You could make an argument for waiting, though.

Andrew

Not sure what u meant by u would ship the turn.so u wouldnt check fold qq jj there if u were to cold 4bet em?what would rafas range be here then?if he were to 5bet shouldnt we fold jj pre? maybe qq?

Posted over 3 years ago

2fouroffsuit

1917 posts
Joined 01/2008

Time Link to 00:08:04

When we bink the K on the turn vs this weak passive player and you jam for about a pot sized bet, why not bet smaller if we are getting the money in anyways? Not really any bad cards for us on the river (occasionally an 8 or a Q or maybe an Ace to kill action) So if we bet 1/2 pot again we can widen his calling range and take him on a slow train to value town?

Posted over 3 years ago

BalugaWhale

1083 posts
Joined 01/2008

When we bink the K on the turn vs this weak passive player and you jam for about a pot sized bet, why not bet smaller if we are getting the money in anyways? Not really any bad cards for us on the river (occasionally an 8 or a Q or maybe an Ace to kill action) So if we bet 1/2 pot again we can widen his calling range and take him on a slow train to value town?

again, a decent option. i suppose i wasn't sure what was the bluffiest, so I shipped. haha when in doubt, ship, seems like it might be my life plan.

Andrew

Posted over 3 years ago

Bluesjammin

96 posts
Joined 10/2010

31:20 AK
baluga, i like your play here post flop for the reasons u gave (and the turn card Wink)but was wondering what you thought about polarizing our range on purpose here vs certain villains by raising the cbet for value vs 88-QQ type hands? because we only rep sets and maybe 2 or 3 flush draws we are likely to be peeled by an observant enough opponent?? When we peel here vs that range we are likely not going to be barreled on a blank turn or get much more value. do u agree?
i have a hand i recently pld that is similar where i get the regs whole stak by polarizing my range on the flop- (3b pot tho)
http://weaktight.com/3065432
love to hear your thoughts.

Posted over 3 years ago

Ass Get to Jigglin

4276 posts
Joined 10/2010

Why as big as 50%+?

we will prob get floated and called with marginal made hands like pp's less if we make a little bigger. and while that means that when we have a value hand we get less value from his floats/marginal hands, the extra value we get from his Ax that we have outkicked prob more than makes up for this. am i wrong here?

Posted over 3 years ago

BalugaWhale

1083 posts
Joined 01/2008

31:20 AK
baluga, i like your play here post flop for the reasons u gave (and the turn card Wink)but was wondering what you thought about polarizing our range on purpose here vs certain villains by raising the cbet for value vs 88-QQ type hands? because we only rep sets and maybe 2 or 3 flush draws we are likely to be peeled by an observant enough opponent?? When we peel here vs that range we are likely not going to be barreled on a blank turn or get much more value. do u agree?
i have a hand i recently pld that is similar where i get the regs whole stak by polarizing my range on the flop- (3b pot tho)
http://weaktight.com/3065432
love to hear your thoughts.

i mean that's fine, but you're 6m, btn vs blind, 3bet pot. You can get value from QQ much more easily than I can raising a FR UTG raiser.

Andrew

Posted over 3 years ago

BalugaWhale

1083 posts
Joined 01/2008

we will prob get floated and called with marginal made hands like pp's less if we make a little bigger. and while that means that when we have a value hand we get less value from his floats/marginal hands, the extra value we get from his Ax that we have outkicked prob more than makes up for this. am i wrong here?

i mean, if you think he folds his marginal stuff more when you make it a little bigger, then make it a little bigger. I kinda think he folds either way.

Andrew

Posted over 3 years ago

Ass Get to Jigglin

4276 posts
Joined 10/2010

i mean, if you think he folds his marginal stuff more when you make it a little bigger, then make it a little bigger. I kinda think he folds either way.

Andrew

cool. thanks for the great vid and discussion again.

Posted over 3 years ago

Bluesjammin

96 posts
Joined 10/2010

i mean that's fine, but you're 6m, btn vs blind, 3bet pot. You can get value from QQ much more easily than I can raising a FR UTG raiser.

Andrew

Cool. Yeah situational. Thanks man.

Posted over 3 years ago

apv2009

261 posts
Joined 09/2010

Time Link to 00:50:34

From that showdown, we could see that "event2" is a bluffy fish, potting every street with whatever.

Also we was abusing you from all over the session.

You advise folding everything until we have evidence?

I was inclined to take a stand sonner. Any thoughts? ty

Posted over 3 years ago

BalugaWhale

1083 posts
Joined 01/2008

From that showdown, we could see that "event2" is a bluffy fish, potting every street with whatever.

Also we was abusing you from all over the session.

You advise folding everything until we have evidence?

I was inclined to take a stand sonner. Any thoughts? ty

where do you think I should've called?

Posted over 3 years ago

apv2009

261 posts
Joined 09/2010

where do you think I should've called?

In the hand you have Jakes and the flop came Axx, I was inclined to call all the way, but I could be wrong, what do you think?

Nice series, learning a lot.

Posted over 3 years ago

Adebisi38

14 posts
Joined 01/2009

Time Link to 00:22:05

in the A4 hand, what about a c/c flop ?
I guess cbetting here doesn't make him fold any better hand and since we have the backdoor nut flush draw we will be able to call a bunch of turns if he decides to barrel.

Posted over 3 years ago

czechraisefold

15 posts
Joined 01/2011

Time Link to 00:18:30

i'm inclined to think he had a set and made one of those 'gtfo of here' bets, moreso than any random holding or draw.

Posted about 3 years ago

tme03

6 posts
Joined 01/2008

Time Link to 00:04:20

Whats your thought process raising turn with At when you turn the wheel?

Posted about 3 years ago

zolih

8 posts
Joined 02/2008

Hi Baluga!

at the KJhh hand 19:00min. on 935QQ board.
you were thinking about catching a bluff but then you said JT would bet the flop. ok this is true. but this is true for almost any Qx hands no?

what do you think?

tx

Posted about 3 years ago

Finnisher

199 posts
Joined 09/2009

After Soi/nit flats you with KQ from SB vs your CO open you talk about how you're going to poo on his plan by basically not bluffing high boards and valuebetting effectively and then his plan of calling with KQ isn't good cos he's not gonna get your bluffmoney. Should he counter it by starting to 3bet KQ for value and bet very thin postflop expecting you to think he's bluffing or has a monster?

Posted about 3 years ago

BalugaWhale

1083 posts
Joined 01/2008

After Soi/nit flats you with KQ from SB vs your CO open you talk about how you're going to poo on his plan by basically not bluffing high boards and valuebetting effectively and then his plan of calling with KQ isn't good cos he's not gonna get your bluffmoney. Should he counter it by starting to 3bet KQ for value and bet very thin postflop expecting you to think he's bluffing or has a monster?

yep, most likely.

Posted about 3 years ago

hau2go4sho

3 posts
Joined 08/2011

Time Link to 00:56:46

Do u think he would call a smaller bet there, or was he check folding all the time?

Posted over 2 years ago

Pinko Panther

371 posts
Joined 04/2011

Time Link to 00:46:02

lol@ "...but kings are really good and stuff". I can literally feel the torment of trying to focus and provide insightful commentary for a video in this spot. Awesome series, by the way.

Posted about 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsMid Stakes Shorthanded NL → Whale Tales : Episode Seven