Poker Video: Limit Hold'Em by DeathDonkey (High Stakes)

Live Jive: Episode One

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Live Jive: Episode One by DeathDonkey, mike l.

DeathDonkey and mike l. kick off their series discussing some high stakes live hands Mike played and they continue their rhetoric of debating correct plays.

About Live Jive Subscribe to

Mike L and DeathDonkey discuss higher stakes live LHE hands that Mike has played. They focus the discussion on exploiting common errors from brick and mortar opponents.

Tags

deathdonkey mike l. live jive live play ipod friendly high stakes

Video Details

• Game: lhe
  • Stakes: High Stakes
  • 48 minutes long
  • Posted almost 4 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for Live Jive: Episode One

or track by Email or RSS

Amaryllis

431 posts
Joined 09/2007

Related to this, what are your guys' thoughts on dark bets in general and what they denote? I've always felt like (from live regs) it means more strength than normal, but I have a small live sample. When it's vs other online guys I know then we do it usually just messing around or because we know that we always cbet anyway.

I agree with your live assessment; it usually reflects confidence. Additionally, I think it gives some info about the player in general: I think most of the time, someone who bets blind for any reason, will tend to be on the LAG side.

Online, I don't know. If he's multi-tabling, he may use the auto bet button quite a bit without us being to deduce much out of it.

Posted almost 4 years ago

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

Comprehensive post on dark betting:

It means different things on the flop and on later streets:

Flop dark betting:

From a truly good player: it is meaningless, it means they had last action and will c-bet 100% here

From a mediocre thinking player (similar to the hand from this video): Almost always means they have a good hand but not AA. I think subconsciously they are concerned about flinching / showing sadness if the flop is awful for them. Dark betting is "safer" in their mind.

From a bad player: Nearly always a weak hand

Turn/River dark betting:

From a truly good player: You will almost never see this if they are truly good, they want to at least pretend they are going to consider on various cards. If pressed I would say they tend to have a good to very good hand but not the nuts.

From a mediocre player: ALWAYS THE NUTS. These guys are closet nits on the big streets.

From a very bad player: 90% ALWAYS THE NUTS. 10% they have a big draw and they are going to bluff the river anyway so they just dark bet it.

a2sauce

4 posts
Joined 09/2009

great vid, opened up my mind

one thing i realize i almost never do in the commerce 20 or 40 is c/r with the initiative, how bad is this? how much value am i losing? with the kk hand, what other turn cards do you feel a c/r is best?

looking forward to ep. 2

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

great vid, opened up my mind

one thing i realize i almost never do in the commerce 20 or 40 is c/r with the initiative, how bad is this? how much value am i losing? with the kk hand, what other turn cards do you feel a c/r is best?

looking forward to ep. 2

A lot? It's nearly the ideal limit for people to be brave and aggressive when you give them a little rope, but not really raise you when you bet unless you are beat.

jesse8888

66 posts
Joined 03/2010

Time Link to 00:26:32

I really like a bet/3 with two pair on this hand. You have the second nuts on a board with no flush draws or open ended straight draw possible. Nobody raised preflop so it seems impossible that you're beat unless exactly A9 is out there lurking about (AA, KK, 99, and AK would all have needed to not raise preflop), and protection isn't that much of a concern. You're likely to get raised by an ace somewhere (there are 6 opponents!) and then you can three bet and it's just beautiful.

DosXX

384 posts
Joined 01/2008

I really like a bet/3 with two pair on this hand. You have the second nuts on a board with no flush draws or open ended straight draw possible. Nobody raised preflop so it seems impossible that you're beat unless exactly A9 is out there lurking about (AA, KK, 99, and AK would all have needed to not raise preflop), and protection isn't that much of a concern. You're likely to get raised by an ace somewhere (there are 6 opponents!) and then you can three bet and it's just beautiful.

Do you think most aces that get limped here will raise this flop once you bet?

jesse8888

66 posts
Joined 03/2010

Do you think most aces that get limped here will raise this flop once you bet?

Yes I do actually and I realize this is something that Mike and I disagree on and he has more experience in the game so perhaps I should defer to him. But he did bet the hand (I posted before I saw that) and the discussion was that he didn't want to 3 bet and I disagree because like I said he has the 2nd nuts.

AlanBostick

35 posts
Joined 08/2009

41:09 et seq. -- How close is it, really between folding and calling?

I mean, Seat 3 has bet and raised at every opportunity, and we have no reason to expect they won't continue to do so. Seat 3's cap hides the full strength of Seat 2's hand (although of course check-3-betting is a strong move). Is Seat 3 gunning for a free turn card? Will they get one if Seat 2 really does have a flush?

Sure, everyone might shut down and let us see a showdown for merely two more big bets. If we could be reasonably sure of that, then, yeah, call down. But my issue is that I see a reasonable likelihood that a multiway pot will go multiple bets on the turn, with our lousy aces squeezed in the middle. Too much likelihood we're behind, very little to draw to if we are, and too many cards to fade if we're ahead.

As I was watching the video I was ready for Mike to fold, and was astonished at DD's argument for continuing. What am I missing here?

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

I've seen a lot of spots in my life where all hell breaks loose on the flop, and then on turn everyone checks! And it might even check down on river. Live players loveeeee to shovel in flop bets and hateeee to put in turn bets generally speaking

mike l.

56 posts
Joined 02/2007

Fantastic video. 48 minutes flew. This is going to be another great season for LHE.

On the last hand, seat two must have been lying when he said QJ. People who muck never say the truth about their hand imo. He looks like a set of sevens very much, or a set of deuces.

but people rarely understate their hand when lying about it. so if QJ was a lie it'd be more likely he had K high or small pair or something he felt was embarassing.

mike l.

56 posts
Joined 02/2007

but aren't really willing to raise for value aggressively (probably most of the commerce 40 players).

you answered your own question in the end. well said.

mike l.

56 posts
Joined 02/2007

re: dark bets.

i think from most players it means strength. if someone does them all the time (as i have from time to time) it means they think their opponent is so bad and so loose and passive they dont really care to think about what that player has unless raised. or that they are a total maniac and think it's fun to dark bet. i usually fall into the former camp. in fact in some hu spots with a pair i will bet and not even look at the board just look at the opponent, and do so on every street. how they react to the board and the dark bets tells you a lot more then looking down and seeing "oh look it's Q54-9 and i have 77". if your opponent is hellbent for showdown with A high type hands and 22 (most live players) then why would you want any card on the board detract you from value betting your brains out. sometimes ive dragged the pot and never once looked at the board.

i check dark a lot too. on the flop heads up i never donk (although there are great arguments in favor of it) so my check is automatic, just as their bet usually is. now im last to act on the flop.

johnnykakes241

170 posts
Joined 12/2011

Time Link to 00:08:55

so if we don't have the 8 of Club are we still calling this turn?

Posted over 2 years ago

Zeke Ferrari

27 posts
Joined 09/2012

Time Link to 00:31:48

I recognize this video is from 2010 and I'm nearly 4 years late to the party, but is there any merit in the early position LRR strategy that DD and Mike are talking about here in today's live games?

Posted 4 months ago

HomePoker ForumsMid/High Stakes Limit Hold'em → Live Jive : Episode One