Poker Video: MTT by vandweller (Mid Stakes)

MTT: Vandweller (#5) - January HH Review Part 2

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

MTT: Vandweller (#5) - January HH Review Part 2 by vandweller

Continue looking over vandweller's shoulder as he picks apart his $20-$50 STT hands played in January '10. Topics include: all-in calls, using PokerStove to solve SNG problems, punishing risk aversion, the stop-n-go, maximizing post-flop value, and evaluating opponents' ranges.

About MTT Subscribe to

For all those moments when you are sitting down to an event with more than 9 players our Instructors help you with the decisions to cull out the weak and make the final table.

Tags

vandweller push mid-stakes mtt sng risk

Video Details

• Game: mtt
  • Stakes: Mid Stakes
  • 84 minutes long
  • Posted over 4 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for MTT: Vandweller (#5) - January HH Review Part 2

or track by Email or RSS

E1eVeN 11

1 posts
Joined 11/2008

Great vid, those 4 hands with unclealboo were hilarious!

Posted over 4 years ago

AKQJ10

668 posts
Joined 10/2008

Time Link to 00:06:48

From his HUD stats (if your HUD is somewhat similar to mine), I'm pretty surprised to find AJs in his 3-bet pre / 2 barrel post range here.

First of all, he's only raising 9% pre, and later on you tell us that 2% is his 3-bet right? So I'd guess he's 3-betting a range like JJ+,AK,AQs, at best, and maybe even tighter.

[EDIT: snip mistaken paragraph where I thought 36% was his cbet because that's where cbet appears on my HUD. Later on you explain that's 36% fold to 3-bet.]

Check/call is pretty standard on the flop, I think; the only concern is his live 6-outer with AK. Now that we know he plays AJs and AQs without redraws this way, I think the check/call line is even better.

On the turn, I slightly prefer a donkshove which is only half-pot. He might fold overs getting 3:1, but not necessarily since he doesn't know your range here, and it's offset by the fact that he may not bet them (and may call the turn but not the river with them). His stats don't look like someone that likely to two-barrel a no-pair hand. The pot's big enough that taking it down rather than getting the remaining t915 of value probably isn't a horrible mistake, and ICM slightly devalues that extra chip value. I mention that as a secondary consideration though, just slightly shading toward betting to protect our hand.

Obviously now that we know his hole cards, though, my read of his 2-barrelling frequency may have been off. If this is standard for him to play AJs against you (maybe because he reads you as a player capable of tough folds) then I think your line is perfect.

Posted over 4 years ago

AKQJ10

668 posts
Joined 10/2008

And of course, the reason to look at the results is so next time you'll know that AJs is in his range here. Smile

Posted over 4 years ago

AKQJ10

668 posts
Joined 10/2008

Time Link to 00:00:26

I remember about a year ago, looking for the hypothetical video where you show how to do these calculations in your head, but I never really found it. Unless you're talking about the part of "Flying Blinds" where you discuss a certain column having a relationship to a certain other column (in which case, maybe I should memorize the two columns) -- is that what you're referring to here? Or have you added a video where you teach how to do these calcs at the table?

Posted over 4 years ago

AKQJ10

668 posts
Joined 10/2008

Time Link to 00:18:27

GREAT point about owning the bubble, and I need to learn this.

But how do we account for the fact that (1)given his small sample stats of 36/24, he may not be a competent SNG reg (2) a non-competent-reg is probably going to call a little too light here, even if it's JJ+/AK and especially if he's seen us "own" with a deep shove already?

Can Wiz evaluate the profitability of your shove presuming say, a calling range of 3 or 4% of all hands (i.e., the top 1/8 to 1/6 of his original 24% raising range)? In the next hand you seem to imply it can.

Posted over 4 years ago

vandweller

474 posts
Joined 12/2008

From his HUD stats (if your HUD is somewhat similar to mine), I'm pretty surprised to find AJs in his 3-bet pre / 2 barrel post range here.

Yeah me too. Really shocked how spewy that was against me. Anyway, I don't know if I would really count the turn bet as a second barrel per se. Once the turn double-paired I think he's figuring his A-high is either good (though I don't see against what) or chopping and he's just preventing himself from being bluffed on the river or letting me pair up if I'm unpaired (though putting me on any unpaired hand other than AK would be a pretty bad read).

The pot's big enough that taking it down rather than getting the remaining t915 of value probably isn't a horrible mistake, and ICM slightly devalues that extra chip value. I mention that as a secondary consideration though, just slightly shading toward betting to protect our hand.

I agree. Ringing the register and collecting the big pot right now is certainly a valid option.

maybe because he reads you as a player capable of tough folds

He doesn't know me that well obviously. I likes me some calls.

Posted over 4 years ago

libertines123

58 posts
Joined 01/2010

Thanks Vandweller; I really enjoyed and, more importantly, found this and the previous video very useful.

If you were to repeat the format with another month's worth of hands there would be no complaints from me.

Posted over 4 years ago

AKQJ10

668 posts
Joined 10/2008

If you were to repeat the format with another month's worth of hands there would be no complaints from me.

+1

Posted over 4 years ago

JtX

621 posts
Joined 12/2009

I like it, if Vandweller still has some different spots to show us. It's always awesome to learn to recognize new spots to get the edge and I have gotten a lot of those from vandwellers videos.

Posted over 4 years ago

Win.by.TKo

12 posts
Joined 08/2009

I also find that there is nothing wrong with repeating themes, even those that seem trivial. Every once in a while we all can use a reminder or refresher. Thanks for an excellent vid!

Posted over 4 years ago

RIGGED!

694 posts
Joined 08/2009

Loved the video. If you want to make one of these every month I would watch. These are right in my wheel house so I'm very excited when you make a video.

Thanks Van.

Posted over 4 years ago

browndog1986

251 posts
Joined 11/2009

i think you should do one of these every month really enjoyed it and helps to review my game which i was struggling to do

Posted over 4 years ago

rubbishaka80

555 posts
Joined 07/2007

GREAT point about owning the bubble, and I need to learn this.

But how do we account for the fact that (1)given his small sample stats of 36/24, he may not be a competent SNG reg (2) a non-competent-reg is probably going to call a little too light here, even if it's JJ+/AK and especially if he's seen us "own" with a deep shove already?

Can Wiz evaluate the profitability of your shove presuming say, a calling range of 3 or 4% of all hands (i.e., the top 1/8 to 1/6 of his original 24% raising range)? In the next hand you seem to imply it can.

Wiz can indeed evaluate this hand. If villain is really opening 24% here (probably wider), he then needs to only call 4.6% (AQ+, TT+) to make the shove profitable.

That's why I don't like this play against random fish. You get snapped of by 55 or A9s too often. "I knew you were bluffing." If you are getting called that wide you can only push AQ+, AJs+, 77+.

Posted over 4 years ago

rubbishaka80

555 posts
Joined 07/2007

Time Link to 00:45:11

Van: "Even when he calls to wide he then has a weaker range."
Horrible reasoning. We are just as risk-adverse here as the other big stack. The wider he calls the worse our push becomes. Against this opponent the push is not clear cut at all and probably even bad.

Posted over 4 years ago

HomePoker ForumsTournament Poker → Push : Vandweller (#5) - January HH Review Part 2