Live Poker Poker Forums

AKo facing 800 AI SB vs BB

or track by Email or RSS

pokerlover

960 posts
Joined 11/2009

I was playing with this loose player shoving it seemed ATC against me in a 1/3 game. he had shoved A6o in the SB and I called and lost 410, then I rebought for 300 and raise called and stacked up to 1000. Now he rebuys and open shoves the SB vs my BB with 800 and I have AKo. this deep is it really a good idea to call? I guess I had tilted him by making some thin calls. I think there are a lot of hands in his range that I don't have great equity against whereas if I had 88 I would have much better against many combos in his range. It's late and I may have less time to look for a better situation. If he stacks me this late he may just run

Posted 7 months ago

specul8rr

2 posts
Joined 07/2013

He has already shown that he will shove with a hand that you dominate (A6o). You block the only hand that you are in terrible shape (AA). Otherwise you have him crushed or you are racing. Depending on how you construct his range, you are at least a 60% favorite. Call.

Posted 7 months ago

urb

802 posts
Joined 08/2011

There is no range that 66 would fare better against than AKo (except 22-55 exactly...), so it looks like you have a leak with comparing hot and cold equities. But all you have to do is play with pokerstove or equilab to get a feel for it. Which you really should do, because that's a very basic question to ask for someone who's been a member for 7 years...

Posted 7 months ago

pokerlover

960 posts
Joined 11/2009

well he may have mostly Ax hands but I am worried about the junk hands and would not call which would play into his strategy

Posted 6 months ago

urb

802 posts
Joined 08/2011

well he may have mostly Ax hands but I am worried about the junk hands and would not call which would play into his strategy

If considering to stack off preflop with AKo I want my opponent to have wider range rather than narrower. So I would be worried that he might not have those junk hands in his range this deep. Really man, do some equity calcs...

Posted 6 months ago

Sklossmonster

4 posts
Joined 04/2013

The real question is, "Do you want to flip for stacks?"

It breaks down like this: If you assign a range of 77+, AJ+, KQ+, wihich is, IMO, a fair assessment, then you're basically flipping for stacks. You have the good side, but not by much. So you just have to ask yourself one question, "Do you feel lucky?"

Well, ... do ya punk? (That was a Dirty Harry reference for those making a face)

Equity Win Tie
SB 45.05% 39.27% 5.78% 77+, AJs+, KQs, AJo+, KQo
BB 54.95% 49.17% 5.78% AKo

Posted 5 months ago

Sklossmonster

4 posts
Joined 04/2013

And if you decide he might actually have a hand this time, like say JJ+, AQ+, you're still flipping.

Equity Win Tie
SB 49.89% 38.05% 11.84% JJ+, AQs+, AQo+
BB 50.11% 38.27% 11.84% AKo

So you can do the math on what you have to call and what your expected value is, but in the end it's a simple question of do you feel like flipping for stacks (In most cases), which I guess begs the question ... are you properly rolled to play in this game?

If you have a proper bank roll then you can absolutely dust off 250 BB flipping against a villain's range, but if you're playing over your head and the money really matters it sounds like you were sitting in a game that'll offer much better spots to chip up, and maybe you would want to take the lower variance path to long term success.

Hope it helps

Posted 5 months ago

goldseraph

1657 posts
Joined 03/2008

snap call IMO. doubt you ever get in this situation again, though, and I am assuming you folded.
the important thing to take from this is that you should, as advised by another, put in some work with an equity calculator and play with ranges. See how hands that sometimes get put in difficult spots (AK, JJ, QQ, AQ, etc) fare against various range compositions.

Posted 5 months ago

pokerlover

960 posts
Joined 11/2009

I folded here for obvious reasons. I'm just kind of wondering if I am missing something about range construction that enables me to make this call and possibly call with AQ

Posted 4 months ago

goldseraph

1657 posts
Joined 03/2008

I don't get it, you said in the original post that he has been shoving any two cards. Then you fold BB vs SB against his shove with AK for "obvious reasons". AK is 65/35 against a random hand and 75/25 against A6o which you've already seen him shove. If it's a bankroll issue and that is why you would never call that's another issue and you might want to not play in these games as it seems to play very big and splashy.

Posted 4 months ago

HomePoker ForumsLive Poker → AKo facing 800 AI SB vs BB