October 02, 2009
Havenâ€™t written in a while due to moving so figured I should. My internet access situation atm is a bit sketchy since my new house is waiting on a landline to be installed before we can get internet access since the landlord doesnâ€™t want us to get cable and the associated drilling. So Iâ€™m sat playing in a bar near me that offers free wi-fi. So until I get proper net access my posts may be slightly infrequent, but I shall try to keep writing!
The PLO experiment has begun, so far Iâ€™m 2.2k in and up a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE $15. At first I dug myself into a big hole making mistakes that looking back were frankly hilariously bad, but the last couple of days Iâ€™ve stopped doing quite so much retarded stuff, and realised how ridiculously easy hand reading in the low stakes games is, and I think Iâ€™ve played decently. Today was a little more swongy but I put that down to some poor planning on early streets that led to me crying calling on later streets where vs the sort of scared, passive retard villains Iâ€™ve run into I just donâ€™t want to be calling with <nuts when they want to play a big pot.
So far Iâ€™m fairly happy with the shape of my game, Iâ€™m at 26/21/3.7 and 3b 9% (which is at like a low % in the blinds and a silly high % in CO/BTN). It feels like these stats are close to correct, like maybe I could knock it back to about 20/25.
Things I think Iâ€™ve noticed so far about micro PLO games but am probably wrong about:
1) People really are terrified of the nuts in these games, even moreso than in like micro NLHE and just donâ€™t VB non-nut hands basically, which makes playing vs them really easy.
2) Checks on the flop seem to be much more honest than in NLHE â€“ I guess when people have a hand in PLO villainâ€™s range almost always has like 30% so protecting your hand becomes more important, so people tend to bet more and check deceptively less because they really donâ€™t want people to get free cards when they have a made hand. I suppose itâ€™s analogous to when someone who cbets a ton in NL checks a really wet board as the pfr, and you just know theyâ€™ll c/f a ton or c/c and not be able to call multiple streets.
3) Turn/River checks seem to be 99% honest. This makes VBâ€™ing the turn/river, or taking free cards really easy. It seems easy to play well postflop and no-oneâ€™s going to be too tricky and make life too tough. It also seems to make it easy to spot when someone doesnâ€™t have the nuts and you can bluff them with like a blocker to the nuts if theyâ€™re not retarded and going to call with crap.
4) I donâ€™t think I can VB as thin as in NLHE â€“ because people seem terrified of the nuts in general they check like stronger hands planning to c/c so their c ranges seem much stronger in some spots. I donâ€™t know about this yet but it seems like there are less opportunities to find spots to VB thin. Also it feels like I canâ€™t like b/f marginal stuff when draws hit as much as at NL because villains hit in so many more ways and wonâ€™t call so thin?
5) Itâ€™s easier to table select because there are fish everywhere
So it seems like I should be basically playing good hands, just not paying off vs these fools ever, try to not to value town myself, and trying to pick up some pots where they telegraph they canâ€™t have the nuts and canâ€™t call a big bet. This is the strategy Iâ€™ve been trying the last 2 days when I started climbing out of the hole Iâ€™d dug at the start of trying PLO, and it seems to be working so Iâ€™ll stick to it.
Iâ€™ve been trying to post on some threads in Kasinoâ€™s group and that feels like thatâ€™s helping a lot so Iâ€™ll try and keep that up.
In terms of non-poker stuff, the new house is nice apart from lack of internet. Itâ€™s just been renovated so everything is shiny and new. Iâ€™m also learning to cook more stuff â€“ I did a couple of variations on chow mein recently that worked out well. If anyone can recommend any recipes I can do for a) minimal cost, b) minimal time and c) that donâ€™t suck that would be appreciated. Iâ€™ve also met some of the people on my course for this year and they seem really nice, and so far 3/3 nights weâ€™ve been out for drinks so more sociable than I thought for a bunch of postgrad lawyers! I also got a Blackberry Curve as my new phone upgrade since my contract with Orange is too ghetto to get the Bold on. On the plus side itâ€™s a pretty sweet phone anyway, and thereâ€™s a NL game on there! AND ITâ€™S CASH! Itâ€™s still pretty silly but good fun to play in a spare moment.
Anyways hopefully can post more once I have non-ghetto internet access!