January 11, 2010
- Finally was able to watch The Hangover and Role Models over the past week. Iâ€™m a huge fan of mindless comedies and thought The Hangover was very funny and thought Role Models was pretty boring. There was a thread debating these types of movies on 2+2 and many have Knocked Up rated pretty high. I personally thought it wasnâ€™t nearly as good as the reviews and didnâ€™t think there were too many great lines.
- Obviously the NFL playoffs have started. The only exciting game this weekend was the Packers-Cards game which I had to miss because of baseball winter league. I left the car right when GB recovered the onside kick and followed the rest of the game on my phone. Wish I couldâ€™ve watched it live or even DVRd it but figured Iâ€™d have no chance of avoiding the score for 2 hours. I have the worst luck when DVRing live sporting events so Iâ€™ve pretty much given up hope on doing that.
- Iâ€™ve moved up to 100nl a little early with a little urging from some poker buddies. I have 50 BI, but I know I can beat the level, the rake is a killer at 50nl, and the sooner I could move up the better. the emotional control is much better however it can be tough to get a game. I gotta get some money on different sites once I get up to 80 BIs or so.
- Iâ€™ve finally started studying the math part of the game a bit more. WOTs first 2 episodes were obviously basic but very good and Iâ€™ve been running equity calcs after each session. Itâ€™s really not that hard and is really easy to do. DC member subbacultcha summed it up well in his blog that nobody really enjoys doing them but if you take 15 minutes a day and do them itâ€™s well worth it.
- Big Monday starts tomorrow. As weird as it sounds, itâ€™s my favorite day of the week from January to March. Generally the best games are played as one or both games feature the Big East and Iâ€™m a college basketball junkie. I went to the Cuse-Memphis game the other night and Syracuse beat a decent Memphis team while playing awful. Itâ€™s scary how much better Johnson is than Harris and the team is just much more likable this year without Devendorf and Harris. However, they still turn the ball over a bit too much, so while immensely talented that could be their downfall in March.
- Speaking of college basketball, on a completely different note for those that are donâ€™t follow it or donâ€™t follow sports you probably havenâ€™t seen Jim Valvanoâ€™s speech. Itâ€™s from 1993 and he was in the middle of fighting an incurable form of cancer. Not much of a point to this other than the obvious. Itâ€™s easy to complain about equity, running bad, how poker isnâ€™t fair etc. However, if you really take a step back and look at it, being unlucky at poker isnâ€™t the worst thing in the world. This speech is extremely motivating, enjoy.
â€œWinners have simply formed the habit of doing things losers donâ€™t like to do.â€
- Albert Gray