Featured Poker Blog Post by krantz

competition, and poker

Feed-icon DeucesCracked Featured Posts Feed

I’m reading Scott Belsky’s Making Ideas Happen.  There’s a section in there where he says:

Ideas often have the tendency to lie stagnant until we are jolted into action by either excitement or fear…  For this reason, competition — regardless of whether it stems from friendly camaraderie or outright envy — is an extremely powerful motivating force.  It serves as a catalyst for taking action and pushes us to improve our overall level of performance…  The competitive forces around you will display better ways of doing things.  Watch them — and get to know them — rather than pretend they don’t exist…  While it may be against your nature to do so, you should actively seek out competition and be grateful for it.  By embracing competition, you stay at the top of your game.

He might as well be talking about how to get better at poker.  No matter how many training videos you watch, how many books you read, how many hands you post or how many fish you filet, the only way to truly mine the depths of the game is to challenge yourself.  And that will never change, regardless of how tough the games get.  So what if you get your ass handed to you by someone better?  In my book, losing 5 BI to a great player is a good thing.

Now you get to figure out why you lost.  And then beat them the next time.

DANGERLION

Comments for competition, and poker

Pugilist

330 posts
Joined 05/2009

How about losing 9 BI to a fish who runs like god then leaves as soon as you get a buyin back? Frown

If a fish can win 9 BI off me (never happened before ever) how much risk are you taking vs. a tough opponent who then also runs like god? It's not just 5 BI but could easily be 15-20 BI if you get set up time after time, lose every coinflip and get owned on top of that.

After what happened to me, I wonder if Isildur beatng Durrrr for 30 BI is even statistically significant.

KRANTZ

3149 posts
Joined 07/2007

Understanding variance -- chiefly, the difference between running bad and playing bad and running well and playing well -- is really important. I'm not talking about loss here though, I'm talking about experience and competition. Make the best decision every time you have to make one and the results don't matter, no matter who you play.

Pugilist

330 posts
Joined 05/2009

The problem is if I am overmatched, the opponent manipulates me into making wrong decisions. And I don't mean tilt, just getting owned.

Why let myself get owned? Maybe its like vaccination, I expose myself too slightly stronger opponents each time, but never to any point where I'm not even sure I have an edge.

I understand growth is important but is it really worth getting owned for 5 BIs, that's a lot of money to a lot of people and a lot cheaper and less stressful to just watch all the vids I possibly can.

Sneakers

2022 posts
Joined 09/2009

Hey Pugilist (like the name),
I cannot say that I am in any better situation than you. But here is something I have recently learned firsthand - live and online.

1) YES, those better players make us better. old saying, "Fight Bums...and...You'll be a bum." a pugilist slant Wink Now, I have found that after weathering those beatings, I am stronger against other players. All sports are like this -- not just "pugilist" sports. Wink

2) They told me that 4 buyins were nothing. They were right...BUT this is completely relevant to your BankRoll (comfort).

Don't be a "Gym Fighter". Get out there and pay your dues. Wink
WARNING: none of this negates table/seat selection.

Pugilist

330 posts
Joined 05/2009

There is Pug the fighter and Pug the manager.

As Pug the manager, I have a duty to protect my fighter and not stick him in there against superior opposition until he's ready.

If I let Pug the fighter fight Hearns or Ali before he's ready the result could be a beating he never recovers from.

Sneakers

2022 posts
Joined 09/2009

There is Pug the fighter and Pug the manager.

LOL Good One! You are correct! LOL

Yep...most people do not know that a Pro Boxer with a 0-0 record probably had 100+ fights at growing levels of competition in the amateurs (if the manager was worth anything).

However, I don't think your manager-side is suggesting you go against anyone as good as....hmmmm....Durrr, Ivey, Isildr1. If you feel that bothered\afraid of your competition -- a good "manager", would say "OK, let's get back to basics -- drop down -- and rebuild confidence."

Interesting thing, this same thing happens to all of the best in Tennis also (i.e. Aggasi) Baseball also -- back to the farm-leagues for a tuneup.

I'm not a coach, just a beginner who is getting ready to go to the next level. That is exciting! Good Luck! You can do it!

Pugilist

330 posts
Joined 05/2009

Is isildur1 really any good or just some degenerate who ran well for some time?

He is stuck 2.3m so just a loser in my book.

People can talk all they like about his skills but end of the day he LOST.

And how stupid he has to be to multi table Durrr, Ivey and Antonius on 8 tables HU simultaneously.

Sneakers

2022 posts
Joined 09/2009

Is isildur1 really any good or just some degenerate who ran well for some time?

He is stuck 2.3m so just a loser in my book.

Is Foreman any good anymore? I wouldn't get in there with him. He'd still embarrass me.

I don't understand the isildur1 money situation. He's still better than me. I'll stay on the observer side. Wink

Pugilist

330 posts
Joined 05/2009

Yeah he'd probably beat me but I'm not the one stuck 2.3m

Let's see he managed his roll poorly, practiced no game selection, played PLO which he was a relative fish in against some of the best PLO players in the world, and played when he was tilted and tired.

Sorry but he must be stupid, stupid, stupid.

And end of the day, his BB/100 was probably the same as Guy's.

KRANTZ

3149 posts
Joined 07/2007

Yes, it's worth it, if you really want to be a great poker player you have to learn how to get comfortable with risk. I'm not suggesting you play someone like Isildur1, you'd get crushed obviously, I'm suggesting you play a winning player at the stakes you play.

Pugilist

330 posts
Joined 05/2009

To be honest, I'm having enough trouble beating even losing players right now.

When you miss every single draw and get set up time and time again you can lose loads even to losing players.

Right now the priority is to stay solvent and rebuild somehw.

Orestto

1553 posts
Joined 07/2009

Nice article, Krantz. I definitely need to pay more attention to why I get owned sometimes. I usually dismiss it as bad play on my part but it would be good to delve deeper into how my opponent induced my mistakes.

Pugilist

330 posts
Joined 05/2009

It's easy to look like a clown when you miss all your draws and your opponent hits all of his.

theshmit

12 posts
Joined 09/2009

Awesome article, very inspiring. thanks!

Snaptress

15 posts
Joined 11/2009

Exactly what I needed to read after my spaz... Krantz! You're the best.

slipp3ry333

332 posts
Joined 05/2009

Deliberate practice

kagame

36 posts
Joined 09/2009

This. You just have to be superrolled to fade this. 35-40 buyins is a joke. Try 100 as a backup at a lower level (your safety net) with a stop loss when you deviate from A+ game or are endangering your roll, and the discipline to move down (to the backup game) when you have less than 100 buyins remaining for that backup level.

That said, taking shot with 35-40 buyins or even less may be the correct decision. You have just to protect yourself.

Posted over 6 years ago

Mantioras

19 posts
Joined 10/2009

"The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent", Fundamentals of Chess 1883.
"Revolver" 2006.

Posted over 6 years ago

1BYONE

5528 posts
Joined 05/2009

This is a great post

Posted over 6 years ago

jens123

85 posts
Joined 06/2010

I guess im at the level where im learning a lot but still not sure what Im doing wrong and going more on gut intuition, I just hate getting lost and as of now poker is pretty important to me in a number of ways Poke Tongue

Posted over 6 years ago

Slowjoe

1117 posts
Joined 01/2010

Can anyone comment on HU match stop-loss strategies? What proportion of your BR are you prepared to lose in a match vs a fish or a reg?

Posted over 6 years ago